What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a deadly poisonous gas which
- cannot be SEEN
- cannot be TASTED
- cannot be SMELT
It is released when any fuel contaning carbon, like gas,
oil, coal, coke, petrol or wood doesn't combust or burn fully
as there is not enough air available. This can happen
when appliances like boilers or room heaters have been wrongly
installed or poorly maintained. It can also happen when
air is not circulating, for exmaple if a flue, chimney, vent or
air-brick has been blocked.
Accidental exposure to CO is known to cause death to over 50
people a year in the UK alone and probably tens of thousands
around the world.
People who inhale even small quantities of
Carbon Monoxide can suffer harmful effects and CO can cause
death in minutes in the right concentration. The build up
of CO in the blood increases the carboxyhemoglobin level and
interefers with the bodies ability to supply itself with
As the gas is invisible, tasteless and without smell, carbon
monoxide poisoning is impossible to detect without a
special CO detector.
The best way to prevent accidental Carbon Monoxide poisoning
is to buy a Carbon