Why do I need a Carbon Monoxide Alarm?
A carbon monoxide
alarm is essential to prevent accidental exposure to the
deadly gas as it cannot be seen, smelt or tasted.
Almost all domestic fuel burning appliances are capable of
producing CO, especially if they are badly maintained.
This means that every household is at risk of CO poisoning at
some point. Carbon Monoxide Alarms are inexpensive and
easy to install.
Even if there is a very small amount of Carbon Monoxide
Gas escaping into your home you could be at risk of illness
including the possibility of long term damage to the brain.
Common symptoms for Carbon Monoxide poisoning are similar to
symptoms of an ordinary cold or to a dose of flu (without
fever) and include:
If you and especially other members of your family are
suffering from these symptoms, you cannot be sure that you are
not suffering from the effects of Carbon Monoxide poisoning
unless you have installed a CO Alarm in your house.
Unborn babies, small children, pregnant women and senior
citizens - especially with respiratory problems - may
experience the symptoms sooner than others. But everyone
in a house is at risk.